Denis Donaldson inquest adjourned again – redux – redux

Previously adjourned, for the fifth time, in August last year, the Irish News reports that the inquest into the 2006 death of former senior Sinn Féin figure Denis Donaldson has been adjourned again – a further pre-inquest hearing will be held on May 5.  From the Irish News report

It is understood a key witness in the investigation has been taken into protective custody after allegedly revealing where the gun used to kill Mr Donaldson was buried.

The coroner told [Garda Superintendent Michael Finan] that even if gardai had not requested it, he would have adjourned the inquest as documents – which were to be handed over before Christmas – were only exchanged eight days ago.

The coroner told the inquest on Thursday that he would need further submissions before deciding on how to proceed.

Mr Donaldson’s family requested that a more extensive inquest be held under European law than the standard inquest set by Irish law.

donate to keep slugger lit