The conference, convened by Queen’s University Belfast and the University of Chicago, will be addressed by a range of distinguished speakers who will share their expertise on the Northern Ireland peace process, the peace process in Colombia, and the international refugee crisis, among other themes.
Confirmed speakers include United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi; former US Senator George J. Mitchell; former US Assistant Secretary of State Anne C. Richard; Dominic MacSorley, CEO of Concern Worldwide; and James Robinson, Reverend Dr Richard L. Pearson Professor of Global Conflict Studies, and Institute Director, The Pearson Institute for the Study and Resolution of Global Conflicts, The University of Chicago.
On the first day there is a session on Northern Ireland with:
- Bertie Ahern Former Taoiseach, Republic of Ireland (1997-2008)
- Father Gary Donegan Talks Chair, North Belfast Community Resolution Panel; Director, Peace and Reconciliation for the Passionist Order
- Reverend Harold GoodRecipient, World Methodist Peace Award (2007)
- Monica McWilliams Co-Founder, Northern Ireland Women’s Coalition; Chief Commissioner, Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission (2005-2010); Emeritus Professor, Transitional Justice Institute, Ulster University
- Lord David Trimble Former First Minister, Northern Ireland (1998-2002); Former Leader, the Ulster Unionist Party (1995-2005)
The conference is free to attend.
This is a guest slot to give a platform for new writers either as a one off, or a prelude to becoming part of the regular Slugger team.