So below is a list of the new councils for the Local Elections in Northern Ireland, along with suggested hashtags. These are all pretty obvious, and I’ve not tested any of them, so if you find major clashes with others let us know?
- Belfast City Council (#BCC)
- North Down and Ards District Council (#NDA)
- Antrim and Newtownabbey District Council (#AND)
- Lisburn and Castlereagh District Council (#LCD)
- Newry, Mourne and Down District Council (#NMD)
- Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon District Council (#ABC)
- Mid and East Antrim District Council (#MEA)
- Causeway Coast and Glens District Council (#CCG)
- Mid-Ulster District Council (#MUD)
- Derry and Strabane District Council (#DSD)
- Fermanagh and Omagh District Council (#FOD)
The Electoral Office confirm too that we will be able to get the percentage turnout on all boxes at three different times throughout the day: at 12 noon, 5pm and at 9pm in the evening.
Last time out in the European elections this proved to be a very useful pointer towards the final result because so many readers were able to share turnout for each box in polling stations particularly in critical areas.
Whatever the predictions, and to be fair those who’ve made them have been fairly modest in part because we simply don’t have much of an idea of how the overall picture will play out…
So it would be really useful on the day to start tracking where we can what turnout has been like in various parts of the electorate so that come Friday and Saturday we come to the count we’ll have some idea of what’s coming and where to look?
So let us know if you can help by sharing turnouts from polling stations in your area on the day. It would also be good to hear from readers just where you think the critical votes are going to come from.
Mick is founding editor of Slugger. He has written papers on the impacts of the Internet on politics and the wider media and is a regular guest and speaking events across Ireland, the UK and Europe. Twitter: @MickFealty