And the almost last category (I’m holding campaign of the year back so we have a bit more time to roll at this one), is Politician of the Year. Overall this is the most senior award, open to Northern Irish politicians at all levels of government, and assemblies. Past winners are Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness.
There are reasons why either one of those might win, but I’d encourage people to look for the new, the unexpected.
– Sammy Wilson (DUP) – “I don’t like what he does, but he does it well.”
– Barry McElduff (Sinn Fein) For being, well, Barry McElduff..
– Naomi Long MP (Alliance) – for carrying off the biggest political upset of the year with much aplomb and integrity intact.
– Peter Robinson (DUP)
– Mark Durkan (SDLP) – for his speech on Bloody Sunday in the House of Commons…
– Dawn Purvis (Independent) – For her work with charities, grassroot community groups, children and young people.