We’re here!

Tue 20 April 2010, 2:22pm

Well, what do you think? Let us know, but – as Mark said in the probably-deleted comment thread on the old site, try and turn off your ‘I didn’t want it to change in the first place’ impulses and then give us your feedback in the comments thread below. Everyone who registered with the old site will be able to claim their username. For privacy reasons, your old passwords were encrypted so we’ve not been able to bring them across.

You will need to  log into this site as if you’d forgotten your passwords. I’ve prepared a briefing here that will show you how to reclaim it if you get stuck with this.

There’ll be lots of new stuff to tell you about in due course, and we’ll be adding a string of new features that have been developed in the background, but some of them will involve a bit of training for our regular bloggers before we can release all of that.

Our current developers didn’t do the install or choose / optimise the server, so we’ve got our fingers crossed that the site will handle the traffic that you throw at it over the next few days, but we will aim to have a the site on a new server once we’ve got any teething troubles out of the way.

Share 'We’re here!' on Delicious Share 'We’re here!' on Digg Share 'We’re here!' on Facebook Share 'We’re here!' on Google+ Share 'We’re here!' on LinkedIn Share 'We’re here!' on Pinterest Share 'We’re here!' on reddit Share 'We’re here!' on StumbleUpon Share 'We’re here!' on Twitter Share 'We’re here!' on Add to Bookmarks Share 'We’re here!' on Email Share 'We’re here!' on Print Friendly

1. Mark McGregor (profile) says:

I’d prefer comment view to be optional. I like last first.

2. Kaido (profile) says:

Talk about being lost in a maze, but no problem, will survive.
    Good luck, any way we could have replies numbered on a total ongoing basis as my relationship with Slugger very in/ out so it would help going back to original position without difficulty.

3. articles (profile) says:

This site is truly inspiring.

I too have just set up a new blog, in fact my first and only blog.

There is a special introductory offer for all readers.

Freeloading or what?

4. Mack (profile) says:

Hi Paul,

This one -

I was using a non-standard way of referencing this pics so that might be it, but still they’re not in the wp media library so maybe not..

5. Mack (profile) says:

Were you using akismet before?

6. sdelaneys says:

Will be grand when we’re used to it.

7. Mack (profile) says:

Another issue -

RSS feed url has changed (effectively a broken public interface).

Might be an idea to future proof this by using a layer of indirection (i.e. use feedburner or something similar to manage the feed – then if we point at the feedburner url for Slugger, you can change the url feedburner reads from to your hearts content without causing any external clients using the feed to break).

8. The archive page – eg, for April – http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/04/ (and also the main home page) has no buttons at the bottom of the page for navigating to older posts – at least, none visible in Windows Firefox 3.6.3 or IE8

9. RepublicanStones (profile) says:

New format seems to load a lot better on my phone. Was probably too much going on with the old site. The dead margins are not visible on phone, which is good.

10. Greenflag says:

Well here goes but still no password ? Got the e-mail reply but when I clicked to the link -nothing ??

Nice new site -a lot of empty maroon space which I’m not yet sure is an improvement or not.Time will tell . Congrats on the change .

11. pippakin (profile) says:

Not getting email notification of responses. Is that not up yet?

12. Alan,

We’ve removed them temporarily as we’re doing things that reduce caching of new pages. It won’t last long – we’re still not fully optimised on the server as you can probably see with the slowness of the site. We have a plan to fix this and it will be restored as soon-as.

13. Noted Mack – and in hand.

14. Rory Carr says:

Can you advise how we might be able to italicise words or phrases or to show them in bold?

Previously I would italicise say “Slugger” by typing Slugger or <b.Slugger to have it appear in heavy type but now I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

All help gratefully received.

A second niggle: How can we access threads that pre-date those that are available on the page that presents to us when we log in?

I cannot discover a means to scroll backwards through older threads. Any thoughts?

And finally – will there be a preview facility available that we may double-check for spelling, syntax and (most importantly perhaps) signs of intemperance before posting?

Best wishes in any case.

15. Rory Carr says:

That would be “type Slugger or Slugger” as appropriate. Don’t know how the ‘s disappeared above.

16. pippakin (profile) says:

Still not getting email notifications and cannot find ‘box’ to tick for it.

I miss comment and page numbers.

17. Neil (profile) says:

Yeah, italics are a big help responding to people as you can differentiate between quotes and stuff being typed in.

Also (this is a very minor bug) when you get a couple of replies to a post, the window for entering text appears under the first reply, but above the other replies. The text entered then obviously appends itself to the bottom…

18. Rory Carr says:

Oh bollocks! – To italicise I previously typed “i” between two “v” brackets before the “i” and “/1″ between two “v” brackets after the “i” and similarly using “b” for bold.

Does this work?

19. Oracle says:

It’s a clean sharp layout… but not the massive change of format I was expecting.

20. Fabianus (profile) says:

The comment box is curtailed for me.

This means that any characters I type beyond the first 63 disappear into the right margin.

I’m using Firefox and my screen res is 1680×1050. Does that make the difference?

The only way I can comment effectively is to write in a word-processor an d copy/paste.

21. Fabianus (profile) says:

See that? I couldn’t see the “and” in that last line and had to guess.

22. Fabianus (profile) says:

See that? I couldn’t see the “and” in that last line and had to guess. Wrongly it seems….

23. Quintin Oliver says:

If you go into a thread from an external link, there is no obvious ‘home’ button to take you to the front page…

24. Anonymous says:

The headline page is looking a bit limited to me. There are effectively only two stories and a list of titles, which gives it a lack of impact. You could pull that list with no details across so that it shares space with the reading feed, and have maybe three stories with little descriptions in columns below the big one. Or something else. You might want to play about with it a bit.

One other feature of old slugger missing: “more will take you to a new page, rather than dynamically expanding. It would be nice if this was brought back.

25. Mark McGregor (profile) says:

Quintin,

The Slugger O’Toole icon acts as home button.

26. pippakin (profile) says:

Are Slugger going to notify us of responses on particular threads? I ask because I will really miss it, my b/b does not update automatically, and having mentioned it several times I thought a direct question might elicit a response.

If there is a key I should find could someone tell me where it is?

27. Ulick says:

When using zoom on a mobile device to view, the bottom comments of many pages and the comment window disappear.

28. MahersMinions says:

Am sure its not of great concern but the new format is unreadable on 2 smart phones i’ve attempted to use (samsung & blackberry) with the red background in the foreground thus making black type unreadable.

Which is a shame as SOT is idea browsing on the move material.

(Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  29. Thanks for that MM. We’re going to installl an iPhone reader shortly and I’m going to investigate the possibility of a mobile version as well. One thing though – this might be a good opportunity to try Google Reader which will work well on those phones – just subscribe to Slugger’s feed?

30. 1. Could we at least have the older/newer comments links appear above the comments, so I can see quickly whether I have to go back a page to read the beginning of the thread?

2. I was ready to headbutt the desk until I found the gravatar.com tip in this thread. Perhaps it should be in a FAQ?

3. Your RSS feed links work at last! Seriously, that drove me up the wall.

31. Coll Ciotach says:

cant get logged in – as for a password reset but it starts gloing into a cycle of asking me my email or log in, and I would like the old site back please

32. MahersMinions says:

Will take a look at that.. tho no doubt i’ll fall squarely in the FAIL of technoincontinentia given my ineptitude with the medium. Much obliged for the suggestion.

33. Coll Ciotach (profile) says:

Logged in and I still do not like it – the Luddites were right

34. Lionel Hutz (profile) says:

I have to say that I love the new comment style. Yeah it might be easier to have a comment number. You could even have replies as an sub-number.

So the comment gets a number (1,2,3 etc) the reply gets a letter ((a),(b),(c) etc) and replies to replies could get roman numberals in brackets. Or you could just do:

1.1
    1.1.1
    1.2
    1.3
    1.3.1

etc

I hope that makes sense

35. Martin says:

When I view the story on “How Free is Free Derry”, at the top it says there is 79 comments. However, when I scroll to see the comments I only see 4.
    Also, the comments aren’t ordered chronologically. I see a couple of the 28th, then one on the 27th, then another on the 28th. I’m not sure its supposed to be this way.

Also, completely separate matter, when I use slugger on my iphone it tends to be *very* slow to load – as if there is too much javasciprt etc. This is not a problem with my phone as other sites work fine and the old slugger site worked fine.

Also, the site definitely looks better, much more modern so good luck with getting the final tweaks sorted.

cheers,
    M

(Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  36. If you click on the “Older comments” button you’ll finf the other 75!

I’d noticed that the new Slugger site loads really fast – on a blackberry browser with Javascript switched off! So something is slowing it down for you …

37. Andrew – an FAQ / ‘Using this site’ page is a good idea. Will work on that.

38. CC – follow the instructions on this sheet:

39. Jimmy McGurk (profile) says:

I quite like the site facelift, and especially the grouping of replies to individual comments.

One thing I miss though is the section displaying the recommended books for reading. I’ve picked up quite a good few reads from those suggestions. Any plans on bringing it back?

40. Jimmy,

Yes. It’s in the pipeline. We’re going to be doing something with Amazon’s listing tools and having featured book reviews. The functionality is in there – we’ve just not turned it on yet.

Hopefully after the election…

41. Lionel – I’ll look into that. I think we’re at the mercy of WordPress’s standard comment tools though.

42. Done it now Andrew. Have a look in the site’s footer – the ‘using this site’ link. Can add to that if you see any gaps?

43. Cynic says:

Great new site. No major glitches but very slow to open pages….sometimes uo to 20 secs on a 7Meg connection

44. Cormac Lucey says:

Scrap your facelift Mick.

It’s simply dreadful.

45. MacS09 (profile) says:

Great! I like WordPress as a platform. Period! Much better than the old format.

46. JoeJoe says:

I would suggest the OLDER COMMENTS button at the bottom is made a lot more prominent (for the drunken RCs, only joking)

47. Battle of the Bogside (profile) says:

I cannot remember my old user name but the email is similar to my new username and it won’t let me use it. I would like to use the email as it does not show my name. How can I use it?

48. padraig (profile) says:

It is showing my photgraph on my posts and I did not put it there?????????/ Please help me remove it before Turgon gets me.

49. Munsterview (profile) black spot says:

Overall not bad I suppose! Given the amount of material to port across and reference, some disruption was inevitable but on my old iBook slugger is running cleaner and quicker. So far, so good. The option to specifically reply to a raised item within a wider debate is a good addition.

Two immediate personal concerns; first the preview option, that made it much easier to pick up on mistakes pre posting, any possibility of including this facility in the new set up?

Second the Italic, Bold facilities etc. Could I suggest a thread to a section dealing with all the ‘bells and whistles’ options that must be available for the new site.

50. johnno says:

Slugger? As irrelevant as the day it started.

Spectacularly out of touch as regards the election results.

51. RepublicanStones (profile) says:

And yet, here you are Johnno.

52. ForkHandles (profile) says:

bugs for me -

when i view a thread there is no home button to go back to the main page or any other way to navigate back to a list of threads?

in a thread i cant find any buttons to go forward or back through pages of comments. i think i can only see the first page of comments

please help !

53. JohnM (profile) says:

Don’t know if this has been requested already but can we have an option to remember us when we log in? I always forget to log in and having to re-enter my details every time I visit the site is a bit of a pain.

54. Graeme Ford says:

In recent months, my website has displayed; “Excessive use of wrong password” on the first login attempt,(MySpace), and any log in to Twitter has prompted any use of my site (‘HugoInterpreter’) to prompt my printer to print out reems of visited sites/pages that would drain the capacity of my regularly busy ink cartridge. The latest MyPhotos section includes the ‘Dorset Police’ album which is a transcript of a secretly rcorded interview with station sergeant Turner, and is, if not self explanitary, quite frankly shocking. Does anyone understand?

55. Greagoir O Frainclin says:

Padraig …yikes, the avatar image of the Padraig Pearse, a religious fundalmantalist Catholic and fanatic, that had an odd affection for children bordering on paedophilia and was responsible for some awful poetry, so sentmental and sickly sweet, ye’d nearly develop diabetes after reading it….plus a psychotic, hell bent on spilling blood comparing himself to the son of god. What a fucking nut case. Oh, his da was an Englishman btw.

56. Cynic says:

Ps after posting last it didnt appear on page for a very very very long time

57. Michaelhenry (profile) says:

after posting i never appear on page

58. Pippakin says:

FTAO: The Admin dept.

My name has just appeared on the top of the thread I was reading. Please tell me it did not appear to everyone on That thread?

59. Mick Fealty (profile) says:

It should not do. Can you email me details at [email protected]

60. Cynic says:

Mick

So slow its ununsable

61. edgeoftheunion (profile) says:

Just lost 3 posts.

62. Now rescued from the spam filter!