Irish DPP to consider Garland case

Having dismissed, in December last year, the US application for the extradition of former Irish Workers’ Party president, Seán Garland, in the long-running saga of the counterfeit ‘super-dollars’, Dublin High Court has now referred the case to the Director of Public Prosecutions to examine whether he should be charged in Ireland.  From the BBC report Giving his reasons on Friday, Mr Justice John Edwards decided that the offence for which Mr Garland was wanted in America is regarded as having been committed in …

Read more…

Dublin High Court dismisses Garland US extradition application

As Garibaldy notes, Dublin High Court has dismissed the US application for the extradition of former Irish Workers’ Party president, Sean Garland, in the long-running saga of the counterfeit ‘super-dollars’.  From the Irish Times report Authorities in America had sought the extradition of Mr Garland (76), of Beldonstown, Brownstown, Navan, Co Meath, to face charges relating to the production of high-quality counterfeit US dollars. The operation was allegedly carried out with the collusion of the government of North Korea. In a …

Read more…

Garland extradition hearing finally begins

Just a quick post to note that former Irish Worker’s Party president Sean Garland’s extradition hearing began today.  It’s listed for the next 4 days.  Garland is accused by the US authorities of being the ringleader of a massive forgery racket that distributed high quality counterfeit 100 dollar bills – “superdollars”.  After being named in a BBC Panorama programme in 2004,  Garland was initially arrested in Belfast in 2005, but jumped bail.  He was re-arrested in January 2009 in Dublin and has been on strict bail …

Read more…

Korea on the brink

The BBC report on North Korea’s latest antics. North Korea has fired artillery shells across its western maritime border, prompting return fire from South Korea, reports say. Dozens of the shells landed on a South Korean island, witnesses say. A television station said some houses on the island were on fire, and Yonhap news agency said that four South Korean soldiers had been hurt. South Korea has issued its highest non-wartime alert in response to the incident, the defence ministry …

Read more…