Interesting snippet from the sex abuse case in Donegal on the BBC site
A director of Scoil Colmchoille, the Irish College that operates at Ard Scoil Mhuire, in Derrybeg, said on Tuesday that a formal statement from the school in relation to Michael Ferry would be issued before the weekend. Donal O’Lionsigh told RTE that Ferry had “no employment contract as such”. He also said there were “no little children attended the courses” run over the summer.
That reads like someone was trying to mitigate the likely effects of giving a convicted sex offender a job in a school… It’s no wonder Minister Shatter is appalled…
Update: That statement has now been released (h/t Nevin below)…
Update 3: In the Independent they are reporting:
He was first convicted in 2002 at Letterkenny District Court of sexually abusing a young boy at the school.
However, although placed on the sex offenders register, he escaped with a non-custodial sentence and a €500 fine. A representative of the school was in court for the hearing.
After returning to work, he continued abusing boys at the school premises.
Earlier this week, he was jailed for 14 years after pleading guilty to 38 sample charges of rape and molestation between 1990 and 2005. Although those charges only related to four victims, gardai fear Ferry may have abused as many as a dozen boys.
A source close to the inquiry said: “We believe there were many more victims who have not yet come forward. We are also investigating allegations relating to four other suspected abusers who are linked to Ferry.
“It appears — from the allegations made so far — a paedophile ring was being operated in this area.
Mick is founding editor of Slugger. He has written papers on the impacts of the Internet on politics and the wider media and is a regular guest and speaking events across Ireland, the UK and Europe. Twitter: @MickFealty