Though there is not yet conclusive evidence that this attack was racist, it indicates that one or more Portuguese nationals were targeted in Dungannon on Tuesday night.
The Anti Racism Network believe it should be treated as such. Spokesperson Davy Carlin said: “Dungannon has a growing minority ethnic population and up until last week, racist attacks were very unusual.
“Both the incident last week, in which windows were broken and curtains set on fire and last night’s, in which a number of workers were attacked and put out of their home, appear to be racist, although the PSNI has said it believes otherwise.
“However, if the victim or someone else believes an incident to be racist, it is PSNI policy to treat it as such. My understanding is that the victims of the first attack were not spoken to by PSNI, and so they are neither treating the incident as racist.
“Last night’s vicious and premeditated attack appears to have been well-organised beforehand, and has caused concern in the community. Unproven allegations made before the attack appear to have been used as some kind of sick justification for it happening.
“Rumours are no excuse for any attack, and it would be too premature for police to rule out a racist motive for the attack on the basis of such hearsay.
“While some people seem intent on causing division, intimidating or victimising people in Dungannon, these attacks have appalled the vast majority of people there. Others are working hard on the ground in the area to ensure that victims are helped.”
Mick is founding editor of Slugger. He has written papers on the impacts of the Internet on politics and the wider media and is a regular guest and speaking events across Ireland, the UK and Europe. Twitter: @MickFealty
Discover more from Slugger O'Toole
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
