The number of people protesting over the conditions republican prisoners face in Magheraberry is growing. Newry Republican has a blog that gives an impression of the crowds that attended Sunday’s rally at the prison. The Pensive Quill covers the speech made by Harry Fitzsimmons‘ sister Maureen at that protest (also on YouTube).
More photographs demonstrating the size of the protest appear on the Friends of Colin Duffy website.
Sinn Féin previously announced a visit to the prison but as yet have made no statement on their findings.
Again Newry Republican provides a statement from Concerned Families and Friends of Maghaberry POWs which notes most/many of the campaign objectives:
• We demand the immediate removal of Harry Fitzsimmons from the isolation unit and his return to the main wing with the rest of his friends.
• We demand immediate medical attention for Harry and express our concern at the manner in which he was removed from his cell and beaten by screws.
• We demand the immediate reinstatement of the humane and safe living conditions within the prison regime which were implemented following the tragic hunger strikes of 1981.
• We demand the immediate end to controlled movement which is being used by the screws to isolate and intimidate prisoners.
• We demand the immediate end of degrading and humiliating strip searches.
• We demand the end of the free rein given to the POA in reversing the gains of 1981 and their determination to implement a regime based on brutality and sectarian bigotry.
• We demand an answer from the Minister for Justice: who ordered the beating of Harry Fitzsimmons and who will be held responsible for it? The Justice Minister or the sectarian cavemen of the POA?