Children? Check if you can get this money

This ain’t spam or a joke. This allowance wasn’t advertised and if you meet the criteria you have until 31st Jan to make a claim.

The year before Tax Credits were introduced there was a different non-means tested allowance available which some people may not be aware of.

It is called the Children’s Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3.

You can still claim this tax allowance before the 31 January 2009 deadline.

You need to phone your local tax office and ask them to check whether you have already received this allowance and, if not, enquire as to what action you need to take.

You are eligible to claim £520.00 allowance if;

*You have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
*The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003
*You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003
*You or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year

You are eligible for a £1,040 allowance if;

*If you can answer yes to the four questions above, and
*One of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003


*Making a claim does not affect your current or future entitlement to Working or Child Tax credits.
*Your Marital status is irrelevant
*You cannot claim the allowance twice and if your final tax code on your April 2003 P60 ended in a H or a T, you have probably already had the allowance.
*This is an easy claim for you to make so do not get duped into paying someone to do it for you because they are likely to charge a large percentage for their services

Blogging at:

  • Jaysus

    What the fuck is this?

  • cabbie

    which part do you not understand jaysus?

  • Rory Carr

    Excellent, Mark. Getting this kind of information out there is of vital importance the more especially so since it tends to be those most in need of such allowances who are most unaware of their availability and accordingly miss out. The better off tend to be acutely aware of every advantage or employ accountants and tax lawyers to be aware on their behalf.

    We are forever hearing made-up statistics of the sums lost to the exchequer in benefit fraud but rarely do we hear of the enormous sums of money lost to the neediest in entitlements simply because they were unaware of their availability. Yet even when they are made aware as I found when in my spare time I spent countless hours attempting to assist those in need to claim such benefits, I found a reluctance to pursue such claims based upon a natural reticence “not to make a fuss”, “I’ll get by” sort of attitude. Something I would never hear in a million years from the well-off who paid for my services.

  • pacman

    Go to the HMRC website:

    In the search box, type 11 ctc and download the pdf version of the form. Remember to complete the front of the form with your own name, address and Nat Ins number. You can only make one claim ireespective of how many children you have.

    As stated above, do not use the following website:

    as they are not a government agency and will charge you £74.00 (approx) + VAT for claiming on your behalf.

    And after all that, my bastard tax code for 2003 ends in H so looks my claim is buggered.

  • joeCanuck

    This allowance wasn’t advertised

    That was one of the big differences I noticed when I emigrated to Canada.
    In the UK, Civil Servants went out of their way to stop you finding out your entitlements, as if it were their money, (I went through a short period of financial hardship), whereas in Canada they went out of their way to advertise every penny you could be entitled to.

  • Ulsters my homeland

    I wonder how many families who aren’t legally claiming they live together, get greedy and try for it? there’s bound to be a few who get too greedy.

    *You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003

    *Your Marital status is irrelevant