Haddock case goes ahead…

ALLEGED UVF leader/Special Branch informer Mark Haddock has failed today to have a charge of attempted murder dropped. A case worth watching.

  • páid

    Haddock, Codd, Mackeral, Salmon, Tench, Rudd, Roache and Trautmann. You can go on about the beauty of Gaelic surnames all you like, but, for me, the oul’ Anglo-Saxons win every time in the humour stakes.

  • noc

    I had message after message deleted for mentioning this man’s name and making the exact same claims with substantiating links just the other week. Will it now be admitted as over-zealous moderation based on flawed analysis of the law as I stated or will the mods take the scissors to Gonzo’s post claiming there decision is based on the finest legal advice the Times can provide?

  • Concerned Loyalist

    I have always felt that the “blacknecks” were infiltrated quite heavily by the security forces. I am convinced Haddock, who was the commander of the extremely active Mount Vernon UVF, was proof of this – a double-agent.

    Does anyone have statistics to show the number of UVF members arrested in comparison to UDA members throughout the Troubles, and particularly post-1994 ceasefires? I am confident that these statistics will show a disproportionate number of UDA men and women arrested in comparison to the smaller number of “Uvfers” arrested (another common name for UVF members, pronounced “Youthers”).

    Having said that, the majority of the UVF membership is made up of staunch and true loyalists, but like every organisation, it only takes a few “bad apples” to leave it’s reputation in tatters…

  • Belfast Gonzo

    noc

    Yes, I vaguely remember that. Maybe you phrased your statement in a particularly careless way, but there’s not much that can prejudice a no-jury trial, especially when all you’re doing is restating previous allegations already in the public domain.

  • pitt park

    “Having said that, the majority of the UVF membership is made up of staunch and true loyalists”

    Do true loyalists belong to an organisation which is basically a drugs cartel?.

    Do true loyalists think it acceptable to poison a whole generation of protestant children with drugs?.

    When the uvf put the lvf out of the Garnerville estate in East Belfast last year, uvf ‘volunteers’ were on the streets of the estate selling drugs to teenagers within 48 hours.

    Mark Haddock ran the Mount Vernon area in the same way as other uvf units do elsewhere, he and his ‘true loyalists’ swamped the community with illegal drugs and left the parents to pick up the pieces.

    The only loyalty the uvf have, is to themselves

  • Concerned Loyalist

    If 1% of an organisation is up to it’s eyeballs in criminality, it doesn’t make the other 99% criminals by association. Don’t get me wrong, the UVF have wronged me in the past by the actions of some of their members. However, I have the maturity and clarity of thought to realise that they don’t represent the organisation as a whole, and it hasn’t stopped me being friends with a number of people, despite their blackneck backgrounds…

  • [i]Having said that, the majority of the UVF membership is made up of staunch and true loyalists, but like every organisation, it only takes a few “bad apples” to leave it’s reputation in tatters… [/i]

    Concerned Loyalist: You sound like a troll at best.
    The UVF, like most paramilitary groups, was and is a Contra group run by the State. Drug peddling is simply part of the package. The main people to have in the dock are their political and military handlers, people like Brig Gordon, maggie Thatcher and Peter Robinson.
    The Nationalist side is no different. Joe Cahill was a definite tout and Martin McGuinness has an interesting pedigree. It defies logic that Freddy Scappaticci could walk. The gunmen of the Official IRA have been welcomed into the Labour Party while others have chosen other rackets.
    By the way, what are you concerned about or dare we ask?

  • Concerned Loyalist

    If I had the time and energy I would go into detail, but primarily my pseudonym is a play on the ridiculous tag of nationalist “Concerned Residents” groups which are driven by the IRA. For example: Brendan McKenna – Garvaghy Road Residents Group.

  • Dec

    my pseudonym is a play on the ridiculous tag of nationalist “Concerned Residents” groups which are driven by the IRA. For example: Brendan McKenna – Garvaghy Road Residents Group.

    eh?

    If 1% of an organisation is up to it’s eyeballs in criminality, it doesn’t make the other 99% criminals by association.

    Correct. It’ll be all those murders, intimidation, assaults and drug-dealing they carry out that make them criminals.

  • witness

    Maybe Sir Reg will be giving evidence as a character witness for people like Haddock in the future….

  • Dr Strangelove

    CL : “but like every organisation, it only takes a few “bad apples” to leave it’s reputation in tatters…”

    Was its reputation ever anything but ?

    What planet are you living on CL ? The UVF may be heroes to some of your community but to the rest of the world they are a bunch or murderers, even if they have cuddly Davy Ervine as their mouthpiece.

  • loftholdingswood

    CL is right and I understand what he is trying to say. You can only go so far on a public forum. I can’t speak for the UVF or the PUP for that matter but I can empathise with what they are trying to achieve as the UDA/UPRG are going through the same process. There are many dedicated loyalists who are truly trying to make a difference and who despise drugs/criminality in their areas. I applaud all the efforts of those who are trying to make a difference.

  • loyalist

    haddocks betrayal of people of my area has sickened us and what about his family who stuck by him?what will happen when people turn on them namely the u.v.f?

  • mountvernon resident

    this is all a joke mark haddock never sold drugs and is not a tout!this is the psni dirty tricks putting touts like gary heggarty in high ranking positions to make sure “the war stays over” and the uvf dissband so the wage a dirty war against people who would stand up to them.Its quite easy to say someones a tout and use the background of any informer.the psni are trying ot divide and conquer and its working!

  • mount vernon residents

    as regards to haddock or should i say agent roxy how could u turn on the people?what about colin caldwell murdered because of you!you gave them the car they were in when stopped by police the one the police had already bugged!!!!or your good friend you had set up and put away in 93? how did you beat that charge and you where with him? how many more people off the area would have suffered because of you?

  • loyalist

    does anyone think haddock deserved what he got?concerned

  • Secur O’Crat

    Looks like this case will not be going ahead after all:)

  • hmmmm…

    Strange young McCord hasn’t been on here 4 a while!!
    Strange that it’s only since someone mentioned what his brother/father actually got up 2 eh ie ‘Bloody Boots’
    Come on Gareth, I’m sure u stil read these posts, what’s wrong…..tongue tied?