Eric Waugh is in top form this evening. A long term critic of the practical working of the Belfast Agreement, he outlines what the opening gambit of unionist negotiators should be:
– The first principle is that more of the same will not do.
– Not a scintilla of a goody should be bestowed on tick. Cash on delivery must be the rule.
– The overblown machine should be shorn of its fat and the Assembly of 108 cut by one third or even a half.
– The PR electoral system should be adjusted to use the device of the alternative vote. This would make election tougher and oblige candidates to broaden their appeal because they would need support from other parties.
– Finally the Executive must find a means of creating a modicum of cabinet responsibility”.
A slightly inhuman presence that bans bad comments and works late at night to remove the wrinkles in Slugger’s technical carpet. You will need to know about the comments policy to stay off the fightin’ side of me and there is a bit of background about me here. You can email me using this spam-proof link if you really need to, and Slugger is @sluggerotoole on Twitter. But above all, remember, Play the ball and not the man.