At Slugger we encourage political debate. We thrive on it and love seeing it on our site. You have no idea how refreshing it can be to log on to the site and a commenter has posted such an insightful bit of information, it totally changes your perspective on an issue.
Our current readership know the score in this regard but we have noticed some newbies in the comment sections and our readership has ticked up over the Summer period (thank you!) so this is just a re-stating of the comments policy on this site.
We may also delete and/or moderate comments, though we we will usually leave a note to this effect.
So try and stick to these rules:
- Stay on the subject. Try not to go off topic in a comment thread. If you do, we may delete or ban.
- Don’t make personal attacks on other commenters, Slugger’s bloggers or the subjects of posts on the site. By all means challenge the things people say or do, but don’t be personal and keep it civil.
- Play the ball and not the (wo)man. Connect with the subject in hand, and avoid making the person you disagree with the object of your argument.
- Negative comments that bring nothing to the conservation maybe deleted. Examples include ‘This is crap’, ‘you are talking’ nonsense etc.
- Writers do not get paid and it can be a thankless task. We encourage users to let a writer know if you enjoyed their post.
If you break these rules:
- we may delete your comments and maybe ban you from the site
- in extreme cases, we may contact your Internet Service Provider or pass on your details to the appropriate legal authorities
We reserve the right to change these policies without notice.
There is a moderation team on the site (Mick, Brian, Alan, Pete and myself), if you are having any problems you can get in touch with any of us and we will do our best to intervene.
Alan- alaninbelfast AT gmail DOT com
Mick will be running an online seminar on comments/moderation on the site in the Autumn. Please stay tuned for further announcements about this.