All 11 suspects in airline plot remanded in custody

All the 11 people, who are facing charges connected to the alleged terrorism plot – as announced yesterday – have been remanded in custody today to appear at the Old Bailey later, one on the 29th August, two on 19th September and the 8 facing the most serious charges on the 4th September. Meanwhile some interesting statements from the police in Wales, as well as from the Garda[subs req], as the man and woman who were being questioned there were released without charge – see below.The BBC report has the briefest details on the two’s release without charge

North Wales Police deputy chief constable Clive Wolfendale had said the pair were in possession of “several items” but did not give further details.

He added that it did not appear the pair had any links to Wales and he also said the arrests were not directly linked to the alleged foiled bomb plot to blow up passenger planes.

While UTV has a fuller quote from the North Wales Police spokeswoman

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: “After careful consideration of existing evidence and close liaison with the Crown Prosecution Service, a decision has been taken to release from custody the two individuals arrested under the Terrorism Act at Holyhead on August 11.

“North Wales Police cannot comment further at this point.”

Earlier today, the Irish Times reported [subs req.]

Their arrests followed a UK intelligence-led operation, and it is understood the arrested man had been under surveillance by British police for some time.

He was also known to gardaí, but sources said yesterday he was not regarded as posing any significant threat.

and quoted a Garda source, as well as confirming that ‘an action’ had been carried out on behalf of UK authorities.

A Garda source said police in Holyhead seized a laptop computer and a disk containing bomb-making instructions.

Immediately after the arrests in Wales, UK police contacted the Garda to request the search of a house in Clondalkin. A Garda spokesman confirmed that “an action” was carried out on behalf of UK authorities.

While some documentation was examined, it is understood a thorough search of the property yielded little of interest to officers.

The Irish Times also reported that the two, who were released without charge, are naturalised Irish citizens.

Donate to keep Slugger lit!

For over 20 years, Slugger has been an independent place for debate and new ideas. We have published over 40,000 posts and over one and a half million comments on the site. Each month we have over 70,000 readers. All this we have accomplished with only volunteers we have never had any paid staff.

Slugger does not receive any funding, and we respect our readers, so we will never run intrusive ads or sponsored posts. Instead, we are reader-supported. Help us keep Slugger independent by becoming a friend of Slugger.

While we run a tight ship and no one gets paid to write, we need money to help us cover our costs.

If you like what we do, we are asking you to consider giving a monthly donation of any amount, or you can give a one-off donation. Any amount is appreciated.