Alex Kane has been doing his homework on Mary Lou McDonald. It’s a good, well researched profile piece. And goes some way to explaining why she’s become such a lynchpin between Sinn Fein’s past and its future. She is not a woman to be in any way underestimated.
- Born on May Day, 1969 and raised in the affluent Rathgar: she has two brothers and a sister
- She was educated at Notre Dame, a private fee-paying school in Dublin
- She had a “road to Damascus” moment in 1981 when she watched news about the hunger strikes
- She married Martin Lanigan in the mid-1990s and they have two children
- She joined Fianna Fail in 1998, turned down a safe council seat and then defected to Sinn Fein shortly afterwards
- She was an MEP, and is now a TD and deputy leader of Sinn Fein. Many believe she will be the next leader
But do it read it all…
Topic: Politics, Society and Culture
Region: Ireland, Northern Ireland
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.