Moldova was robbed!

Sun 15 May 2011, 6:15pm

In the end, Azerbaijan won Eurovision 2011.  Jedward finished a creditable 8th and Blue managed 11th place.  But how could anyone have failed to award the gloriously bizarre Moldovan entry, So Lucky by Zdob și Zdub, a well deserved douze points!  Enjoy.

Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Delicious Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Digg Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Facebook Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Google+ Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on LinkedIn Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Pinterest Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on reddit Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on StumbleUpon Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Twitter Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Add to Bookmarks Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Email Share 'Moldova was robbed!' on Print Friendly

1. pippakin (profile) says:

At the risk of sounding unIrish the good news is Jedward lost. For a while there I was really worried…

I’m no masochist, I cant watch that twice.

2. redandgreen (profile) says:

The best part of the evening for me was the bit near the start of the voting when it looked like there was a possibility Greece might win. Has a winning country ever had to refuse to host the next eurovision?

3. Rory Carr (profile) says:

Unfortunately I missed the Eurovision Song Contest as I was already taken with the more exciting evening’s entertainment watching the second hand sweep round on my new wall clock. But had I known that there was going to be a really good act like Zdob si Zdub I might have abandoned the chronological delights in its favour.

So thank you, Pete. I agree that this is a really refreshing group and I am absolutely convinced that the inclusion of a unicyclist will be as de rigeur for any aspiring pop group in the 21st century as a bass guitarist was in the twentieth.

4. Mick Fealty (profile) says:

Too true Pete, too true. Actually wasn’t a bad crop this year. I liked the Italian one too, it was musical and the lyrics didn’t stink.

5. Alias (profile) says:

I confess that I am fascinated by eurotrash, so I semi-viewed the ghastly affair. I particularly enjoyed hearing the German audience pretend to be good Europeans by booing whenever a country awarded high marks to a neighbouring country, thereby allowing grubby regionalism to win out over more noble egalitarianism. Boo and boo they would a country engaged in this anti-European practice, and as almost ll of them engaged in it, the booing only stopped when – oh horror – Austria awarded high marks to Germany and Germany duly awarded high marks to Austria. The clowns were exposed as being just as guilty of the vulgar anti-European practice that they had spent the night booing others for.

As usual, the UK gave Ireland high marks and as usual Ireland gave the UK low (zero) marks. Does this mean we hate the British? No, it means we are servile good europeans who don’t want to be seen to engage in grubby regionalism.

6. Gerry Lvs castro (profile) says:

Alias I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure Ireland gave the UK six points, admittedly only half what the UK gave Ireland. This was bemoaned by Irishman Graham Norton who complained that Ireland gave ‘us’ less than we’d given them.

7. andnowwhat (profile) black spot says:

Ah GLC, the Wogan tradition of who pays my wage owns my heart continues.

Readandgreen.

The host country no longer has to foot the bill.

On the topic, totally agree. My wee girl and I loved it

8. I confess I didnt actually watch the contest itself but I did watch the voting which was even slower than the Assembly Elections counting.
    I always watch the voting as I always enjoy the political and cultural significance of it all. ;)
    I actually watched it with Mrs FJH, my 8 year old grandson and a very large map of Europe. The Scandavians always voted Scandanavian and the Benelux countries did the same and we now have the bizarre spectacle of the ex- Soviet Union nations voting for each other and even the ex-Yugoslav nations voting for each ….why do we even have the Hague War Crimes thing going on when Serbia is giving douze points to Bosnia Herzegovina.
    A model lesson in Conflict Resolution for us all.
    But surely for the likes of myself who sat watching our own Ronnie Carroll from the Castlereagh Road singing “Say Wonderful Things to me…….I think youre wonderful too” circa 1962, the whole Eurovision Song Contest thing seems very different.
    In fact in the Internet age, “Eurovision” itself is meaningless. For TV viewers in the 1960s the “Eurovision” logo whether for a song contest or a moror racing Grand Prix meant the height of modernity. As was watching the first transatlantic broadcasts via Telstar. Now it is so routine that it is meaningless.

9. Alias (profile) says:

Gerry, you could be right. I was hoping Ireland would maximum points to the UK – for no reason other than it would be bad manners not to when it was fairly obvious from (SKY) media coverage that the UK would give Jedward a 12 (they were UK ‘stars’ first, after all).

The EEC was seen as a shift from a British focus to a broader European focus when Ireland first joined it. Since then, for reasons of an inferiority complex and also to persuade the public that Ireland’s interests wouldn’t suffer by ‘pooling’ sovereignty with larger states, a focus was placed on the spiel of Ireland ‘punching above its weight’ in the EU. This meant that it was very important for Europeans to like us, so the Irish felt good about themselves and somewhat reassured about the priority of their interests whenever they secured a win in the Eurovision and, conversely, somewhat unsettled when they lost. A lot of them probably blame the enforced bail-out as payback for getting too cocky and sending a turkey to the contest…

10. abucs (profile) says:

I’ve got a novel idea, why not give your points to songs that are worth listening to?

On second thoughts, that wouldn’t work either.

11. Nevin (profile) says:

“I’m no masochist, I cant watch that twice.”

Neither am I, pippakin, I watched none of it :)

12. pippakin (profile) says:

Nevin

Its once a year purgatory, but if you don’t watch (at least bits) then you don’t know. I first saw Riverdance on Eurovision. I still say that was the best ever. A pity they were not competing!

13. circles (profile) says:

I think the whole world first saw riverdance on eurovision – as it was first performed there as the “half-time” entertainment.
    All this moaning about the eurovision – i really don’t understand it. Of course neighbouring countried vote for each other – and it has nothing to do with politics, its basically just a cultural thing.
    Of course greek cypriots will like the greek song more than they like the norwegian version, of course the portuguese will like the spanish song better than they like the finish one. It has nothing to with “grubby regionalism” and everything to do with familiarity.
    Its not be accident that the brits habitually declare their entrant as the favourite with the culturally obedient paddy’s as second favourite. Its because they actually like the sound of their own song more than anybody elses. And a song that sounds similar is better than one that sounds different.
    I liked the moldovan entry – but really liked the German one too.
    But then again – i’ve been living there for 10 years.

14. Alias (profile) says:

There is probably some degree of ‘familarity’ to it depending on how familiar they are with English lyrics…

Very few songs were in official languages, so local culture does take precedence. At any rate, in the great European ideal, all counries are equal so favouritism and regionalism runs counter to that ideal – hence the incessant German booing of it. I liked the regionalism because it defeated the purpose of the propaganda exercise.

15. Alias (profile) says:

Typo: “Very few songs were in official languages, so local culture doesn’t take precedence.”

16. circles (profile) says:

so the tele-voting is rigged then?
    The thing is – for most of the songs you wouldn’t know what language they were in. The titles may be in english but thats just the norm to avoid a european Babel. But once they open their mouths most of the sing in the international warble of the talent show.
    But all thatdoesn’t stop a turkish song being a turkish song, or a german song being a german song. The songs selected reflect the prevailing culture in that country at the time. And its only normal that neighbouring countries have similar cultures.

Although having said that – why DID hungary give iceland those 12 points?