Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”

Fri 3 December 2010, 3:57pm

Former Labour Party MP, Phil Woolas, has lost his bid for a judicial review of an election court’s ruling that stripped him of his Commons seat and barred him from politics public office for 3 years

The election court ruling was in relation to Woolas’ campaign team’s plot to “get the white vote angry” against his electoral rival, the Lib Dem candidate, Elwyn Watkins, in the 2010 General Election.  Woolas won the seat by just 103 votes.

Now the Speaker, John Bercow, can get on with calling a by-election to elect a new MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth.

Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Delicious Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Digg Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Facebook Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Google+ Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on LinkedIn Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Pinterest Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on reddit Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on StumbleUpon Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Twitter Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Add to Bookmarks Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Email Share 'Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out”' on Print Friendly

1. Organized Rage (profile) says:

Pete

Woolas has not been barred from politics, only public office. The problem with his type is he believes political activity only comes with a pay check.

It will be interesting to see where he washes up.

2. Pete Baker (profile) says:

Fair point, Organized.

I’ll amend the post.

3. drumlins rock says:

good riddance, just couldnt warm to the guy, maybe it was the just the Gurka thing but I usually have a degree of sympathy of politicians cornered by a campaigner, but there was just sometihng about how he handled it made him seem like a creep!

Judge it
    (Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  4. anonymous says:

Appears from the link that the offense was to falsely claim his opponent was seeking the votes of people whose religion Woolas doesn’t like. That’s a tough issue and I don’t know anything about UK election law. Obviously, Woolas is a bigot whom no one should ever vote for again. If he wants to do further service to his country, he should go off and check roads in Afghanistan for IEDs with his forehead. That said, what are the implications for democracy in NI if a candidate who wins an election can be disqualified on grounds that, essentially, his platform is sectarian? Should judges be making that kind of decision?

Judge it
    (Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  5. fitzjameshorse1745 (profile) says:

I dont think its as simple as “anonymous” suggests. Its not so much that his opponent was thought to be courting “muslim” votes (actually in Lancashire Lib Dems have been doing that for more than a decade). His real crime was to try and beef up that news to play into an islamophobic feeling.
    The proven fact is that he KNEW the information in his literature to be untrue.
    Certainly no consequences for Norn Iron…as our coalition is guaranteed……manifestos are only a wish list.
    But if it could be proven that Lib Dems KNEW they would not live up to their election manifesto in relation to fees then that might be interesting.

6. @anonymous the only defence I can think of for lying in election literature (and it’s not a very good one) is where you know that your opponent is going to lie about you and get away with it and you need to get yours in first. The irony of a Lib-Dem successfully suing a Labour candidate isn’t lost of a few Lib-Dems that I know either – Lib-Dem election literature has often take a few liberties with the actualité….

All of that said, newspapers can routinely tell the most outrageous headline lies about politicians and get away with it (retraction and apology in small print on p94 once the election is over). Huge wads of Americans think Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim and a Socialist because the lies have been carefully cultivated.

We don’t get to disbar Mr Murdoch from influencing elections, do we?

7. pippakin says:

Judge it
    (Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  8. JAH (profile) says:

“Phil Woolas. In many ways typical of New Labour. The end justified the means and what ‘end’ could be better than getting himself re-elected to the gravy train. I’m glad he is off to, no doubt, work tirelessly on minimum wage, for the under privileged.”

Typical surely of the type of carpetbagger politics now attracts from all corners. He never worked in the real world, but from NUS president via a short Beeb stint to a Union then Westminster.

Judging by the moaning at Westminster yesterday on expenses, they haven’t learnt much from his fall.

9. wolf says:

I understand he’s been sacked for personal lies about the LibDem candidate not the allegations against Muslims.There’s no evidence ( apart from the Gurkha incident ) that he actually opposed the immigration of Asians into the UK

Judge it
    (Log in or register to mark as offensive)
  10. [...] Phil Woolas: “This is the end, I’m out” (sluggerotoole.com) [...]

Judge it
    (Log in or register to mark as offensive)